When I found out the theme was Theatricality, I knew I was in for a tough week. I don’t have a lot of experience on stage, so I didn’t have much to draw from. Theatricality was also a lot about adaptability. Being theatrical on stage is much different than on camera, so I had to find a balance between too much and too little on the fly.
Grant Gustin is a perfect example of adapting stage experience for camera. He plays one of my favorite characters on GLEE, so I was really excited when he walked into the chorus room. He turned out to be one of the most down to earth guest mentors and offered some very thoughtful advice.
When Grant told me I was going to be Elvis in the music video, I was thrilled. I knew I was going to have a lot of fun, and what better excuse to dress like Elvis from head to toe? I love The King, so I was excited to try a few Elvis moves of my own and even incorporate them into the choreography.
Zach definitely stressed that we had to be much better than Dance-ability week, so we all practiced the choreography a lot more than usual. It was pretty tricky for me to pick up, but I think we looked really good in the video. I think Zach had to scare us a little to elicit a better performance.
Recording this song made me feel a little goofy – I’m not used to singing The Pussycat Dolls. I tried to take it seriously and focused on giving a good performance. I’m still not very comfortable in the booth, but I feel like I’ve been improving over the weeks.
I’m pretty happy about how the music video went. I was excited to film it overnight. I’m a night owl, so it wasn’t too hard staying up, but as we got toward the end of the shoot, everyone was getting a little sleep-deprived and crazy. I’m happy with the reaction that I got from Erik and the mentors when I got to just dance around like Elvis. All-in-all, I had a great time on set.
When I found out Nellie was going home, I was really bummed out. She remains one of my best friends on the show. We got along really well and helped each other through the bizarre world of this competition. I hated seeing her go and was pretty frustrated with Ryan and the mentors, but I know that Nellie has a lot coming her way. I hope to collaborate with her in the future.
Are you Team Michael? Check out his videos here.
- Where Are They Now: Aylin What has Glee Project Season 2 contender Aylin been up to since the finale? Check out her pics!
- Episode 210: Actability A popular star from Glee gets the group excited while guest judging “Actability” week. Emotions run deep as the contenders perform Pink’s “Perfect” for the music video.
- Where Are They Now: Michael What has Michael been up to now since The Glee Project Season 2 finale? Check out his pics here!
- Where Are They Now: Dani What has Dani been up to now since The Glee Project Season 2 finale? Check out her pics here!
- Where Are They Now: Shanna What has Shanna been up to now since The Glee Project Season 2 finale? Check out her pics here!