Performing has always been in my blood, but growing up I decided to perform on the football field instead of on the stage. It wasn’t until last summer that an accomplished songwriter and performer complimented me on my singing and songwriting. That gave me my first push, and I’ve been running with it ever since.
I heard about the auditions for The Glee Project on the radio a few days prior but I didn’t think to try out right away. The night before I was out with some buddies from work and they convinced me to go to the audition. That night I learned one of the songs and tried out the next day.
For my audition with Robert I sang an original that I wrote called “Saturday Night.” I chose it because it’s a fun song that really shows who I am as a singer/songwriter. Robert really liked it a lot! It was crazy, after I left they called me back and Robert asked me to sing the song again. They told me that day that I was coming out to LA for call backs. It was the coolest thing ever and I am forever grateful to Robert for that. I was one of the lucky ones. I got there pretty late in the day and a lot of people who had auditioned had gone through already.
Everyone at the audition was singing louder than I’d ever heard and dancing more than I’d ever seen. It was very different from what I was used to. Most of the people that I’ve met so far have worked their whole lives for this moment. Most people had taken acting classes or performed for their school theater or even had professional vocal training. I haven’t done any of that haha. It’s definitely still a new world for me. But I think that is what sets me apart from the rest in a big way.
After we went through all the rounds of casting, Robert called me to tell me that I would be on The Glee Project. It was one of the coolest things that have ever happened to me. Definitely top 5! When he started talking he sounded very disappointed and sad. Then he flipped the switch and told me that I was going to be on the show! My dogs were barking and my family was yelling and screaming out of happiness for me in the background. It was awesome.
Growing up I made a lot of stupid decisions that led me down a road that I wouldn’t wish for anyone to travel down. Following my heart and making the choice to do what I love saved me. For me, it has always been about God and my music. The freedom to create is how I let go, escape, and breathe. I hope I can inspire people to follow their heart and trust in the Lord in all they do. It’s a beautiful thing to see.
- Episode 210: Actability A popular star from Glee gets the group excited while guest judging “Actability” week. Emotions run deep as the contenders perform Pink’s “Perfect” for the music video.
- Where Are They Now: Aylin What has Glee Project Season 2 contender Aylin been up to since the finale? Check out her pics!
- Season 1 Recap Check out the best moments from Season 1 of The Glee Project!
- Where Are They Now: Dani What has Dani been up to now since The Glee Project Season 2 finale? Check out her pics here!
- Episode 204: Sexuality Naya Rivera (Santana on Glee) arrives to guest mentor “Sexuality” week. The group’s sultry mash-up of “Moves Like Jagger” and “Milkshake” leaves some contenders squirming.